Re: Guix Bluetooth Headset

From: Ekaitz Zarraga
Subject: Re: Guix Bluetooth Headset
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2020 13:31:18 +0000

Well... I don't think both goals are incompatible.
I'm totally fine with Guix being Free Software only distribution and I
encourage the project to keep that path because I strongly believe it's the
right thing to do.
That doesn't mean the user needs to have a deep understanding of the software
layers involved in a system. I'd say it's unrelated.

The issues with the device compatibility is a different story that should get
better at some point, and there's NonGuix out there too that can solve some
issues for those users that can accept binary blobs.

The problem with the bluetooth for instance it's not a matter of hardware
support neither. I have the drivers for the device installed, but I have no
clue about how to configure the software to make all the different pieces work
together. That's something we can improve without compromising the Ethical
values of Guix, which are, in my opinion unquestionable at this point.

This case of the sound system is a clear example of a software stack that have
been too complex for ages in every single distro but distros managed well
enough to hide that complexity from the users (because they were no actual
reasons to expose it) and Guix didn't manage to do it that well. I'm 100% sure
there's a working configuration we can already use, but it's *really* hard to
find it.
That discoverability issue is what carries most of the friction with the user
in Guix. Of course, in my opinion.

Hope we can use this thread to improve this point with some documentation, code
or packages. I'm open to help in any of those areas.

Best,
Ekaitz