Re: Wanting a copy of Guix/Hurd

From: Joshua Branson
Subject: Re: Wanting a copy of Guix/Hurd
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2020 09:16:27 -0400

Was this bug in the networking code due to netdde?

This was posted in the bug-hurd mailing list a few days ago.  Maybe
that'll fix your issue:

    Richard Braun, le ven. 28 août 2020 18:33:03 +0200, a ecrit:
    > On Sat, Aug 15, 2020 at 06:51:27PM +0200, Jan Wielkiewicz wrote:
    > > Also navigation is too complicated and messy, searching doesn't work at
    > > all, because https://darnassus.sceen.net/cgi-bin/hurd-web is dead half
    > > of the time.
    > > Any special wishes?
    >
    > By the way, the main reason why that website is so often unreachable is
    > netdde freezing. I've restored an old trick I used in the past to mitigate
    > the problem, which is merely a cron script that kills it every hour.
    >
    > If you want that to improve, someone will have to hunt that bug down.

    One way to avoid the bug is to use the e1000 hardware network type. I
    guess the rtl8139 driver that we ship in netdde has a bug in its irq
    handling (we had already seen that kind of bug a long time ago in the
    IDE driver). Moving to rump-based network drivers will probably help
    fixing this kind of issue long-term :)

Thanks,

Joshua

--