Re: Shepherd User Services

From: Miguel
Subject: Re: Shepherd User Services
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2020 03:18:29 +0200

Hello,

El 21 sept. 2020 2:21, Buttery Pancake via <help-guix@gnu.org> escribió:

> I was trying to setup user services using GNU Shepherd, as illustrated in
> this blog post
> (https://guix.gnu.org/en/blog/2020/gnu-shepherd-user-services/).

So you have followed these steps, am I right?  The daemon start step is
missing, IIUC.

> But I get an error related to `/run/user/1000`, that it either couldn't
> connect to or doesn't exist.

This usually indicates that Shepherd is not running.

> What should I do?

Run shepherd command as the user before any herd invocation.  Usually this is
enough:

$ shepherd &

AFAIK there is no configuration in Guix (yet) to start automatically a Shepherd
session per-user.  I use it too, but I launch it with the X session, maybe this
is helpfuk for you too.

Best regards,
Miguel