Re: How do I build a derivation with guix build?

From: Timothy Sample
Subject: Re: How do I build a derivation with guix build?
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2020 22:40:56 -0400

Hi divoplade,

As I understand it, ‘gexp->derivation’ returns a value in the store
monad.  I’m not sure why ‘guix build’ doesn’t know how to use it
directly, but you can get at the derivation by wrapping it with
‘run-with-store’:

    (run-with-store (open-connection)
      (gexp->derivation "the-thing" build-exp))

Don’t forget to use the ‘(guix store)’ module for this.

But!  There’s a better way!!  :)

You can use the “declarative interface”.  Just replace
‘gexp->derivation’ with ‘computed-file’:

    (computed-file "the-thing" build-exp)

Now there’s no need for ‘(guix store)’.

HTH!

-- Tim