Re: Setting environment variables for nix service

From: dario
Subject: Re: Setting environment variables for nix service
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2020 17:47:01 +0200

Hi,

thanks for your input!

Could you try ‘~/.bashrc’, please?

In that case, emacs still doesn't recognize the new environment
variables, but of course, any terminals I start withing exwm do. Still, this doesn't really solve the problem. Anyway, I am currently working around the issue by setting the variables manually in my init.el using setenv, but I would still be interested in learning the proper way to
set environment variables in a gdm+exwm-setting.

By the way, ~/.bash_profile does get read, and I can e.g. autostart programs by putting the respective commands in ~/.bash_profile. However, environment variables set in ~/.bash_profile are not recognized by emacs.

Regarding my second question, it seems that the nix service is already setting some of the nix-specific environment variables, but doesn't change general ones such as $PATH. So maybe the feature I suggested is already implemented, but they took care not change $PATH by default
because of the reason you mentioned.

Cheers,

Dario

Oleg Pykhalov <go.wigust@gmail.com> writes:

Hi,

dario <dario.klingenberg@web.de> writes:

Two
questions:

1. What is the proper way to do this? I am using gdm and exwm, and adding the line to any of ~/.profile, ~/.xprofile, ~/.zprofile, or
~/.bash_profile does not seem to have any effect in exwm.

Probably GDM doesn't read those files by design.

Could you try ‘~/.bashrc’, please?

2. Couldn't the nix service take care of this automatically? I'd be happy to contribute a corresponding path once I have the answer to my
first question.

Probably yes, and the patch is welcome! ;-) Just one consideration - I think it should be optional, in case the automation will brake because
of Nix update or highly customized system.

Regards,
Oleg.