Re: No Guile on Windows?

From: Jan Wielkiewicz
Subject: Re: No Guile on Windows?
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2020 20:41:15 +0200

Hello,

Dnia 2020-07-24, o godz. 16:00:56
Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> napisał(a):

> However, my understanding is that Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL)
> has the potential to make all of us happy.

This is fine as far as we're talking about proprietary Windows, but
this isn't good for software freedom generally - there's ReactOS
(https://reactos.org/) - a free Windows clone that is about to reach
beta stage. It is unlikely they're going to implement WSL there and
therefore Guile will be not usable on this platform. This could
potentially stop Guile users on Windows from switching to ReactOS.
If Guile were running natively on Windows, it would only benefit free
software - more Guile users, more people being interested in Guix and
more people switching to free alternatives.

If no current Guile maintainer is interested in porting it to Windows,
we could at least let people know we're looking for someone who does.
It could be a GSoC proposal, Outreachy something, etc.

Jan Wielkiewicz