Re: No Guile on Windows?

From: Dmitry Alexandrov
Subject: Re: No Guile on Windows?
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2020 20:47:16 +0300

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> skribis:
>> <rant> Sadly, Guile seems to care only about one OS: GNU/Linux

> my understanding is that Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) has the potential
> to make all of us happy.

Itʼs the most disappointing thing to hear from a Guile maintainer.

> For example, here’s info from someone who got Guix to run on Windows/WSL2:

Contrary to WSL1, which was rather a misnomer for an alternative ABI-compatible
implementation of Linux® on top of Windowsʼ kernel, WSL2 fully justifies its
name: itʼs subsystem _for_ running Linux in it.

In other words, what youʼve just said is: Guile does not need to support
Windows, because you can always run GNU/Linux in a virtual machine.

Iʼm afraid, such an attitude, if Guile is staking claim for being something
more than a DSL for defining distro packages, is a decade premature at best.

> Running Guile alone should be easier.  Notably, I would expect a bundle
> created with ‘guix pack guile’ to Just Work on Windows.
>
> Does anyone have experience with that?

I do not, but do not see any reason why it should not.  If Guix pack would fail
to run on Ubuntu, because it is running on emulated hardware, it would mean
that Guix is really broken.  And we know, that itʼs not.