Re: Questions about guix handling emacs packages

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Questions about guix handling emacs packages
Date: Mon, 25 May 2020 16:58:13 +0200

Dear,

Thank you for your feedback.

On Sat, 23 May 2020 at 08:18, Fredrik Salomonsson <address@hidden> wrote:

> 1) The manual mention that packages installed via guix will be picked up by
> emacs from the EMACSLOADPATH which is set when emacs is installed. That was
> not the case for me. I needed to manually set:
>
> export EMACSLOADPATH=$GUIX_PROFILE/share/emacs/site-lisp:$EMACSLOADPATH
>
> for it to work.  I'm running guix on a foreign distro and I'm using
> emacs-next. Is one of those the reason for it?

How do you load your profile? "guix package --search-paths" or '.
"$GUIX_PROFILE/etc/profile"'?

In my ~/.bash_profile, there is '. "$GUIX_PROFILE/etc/profile"' and I
do not have any issue on a foreign distro.

> 2) Not all packages I use in emacs are packaged up in guix (yet). And some
> did not work properly for me. So I still need to rely on emacs to install

Please could list which packages do you use which ae not (yet) packaged in Guix?
And you could give a try with "guix import elpa -r".  It should work
with MELPA too.

Please could you report which packages do not work properly for you?

> some of the packages. The issue is, that it doesn't seem that emacs knows
> about the packages installed via guix when it comes to installing packages.
> Even though it can load them just fine.

My personal experience about mixing Emacs packages from Guix and from
package.el is really poor; it always breaks on one way or another.
Therefore, I switched to all Emacs packages from Guix.

All the best,
simon