profile symlinks structure

From: vapnik spaknik
Subject: profile symlinks structure
Date: Sun, 24 May 2020 14:56:20 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,
    please could someone help me understand how guix organizes profile symlinks?
I can't find a full explanation anywhere.
So far I have figured out the following:

 - original profile directories are named like: /gnu/store/<UID>-profile
 - /var/guix/profiles/per-user/<USR>/ contains symlinks to the profiles
associated with user <USR>
 - symlinks in /var/guix/profiles/per-user/<USR>/ seem to take one of the
following forms:

   current-guix
   current-guix-<N>-link
   guix-profile
   guix-profile-<N>-link

 - the profile used by "guix package" for user <USR> is symlinked from:
      ~/.guix-profile -> /var/guix/profiles/per-user/<USR>/guix-profile
 - symlinks to previous generations of that profile are stored as:
      /var/guix/profiles/per-user/<USR>/guix-profile-<N>-link
     where <N> is the generation number
 - the profile used by "guix pull" for user <USR> is symlinked from:
      ~/.config/guix/current -> /var/guix/profiles/per-user/