Re: Appropriate way to use Guix API from a Guile program

From: Alex Sassmannshausen
Subject: Re: Appropriate way to use Guix API from a Guile program
Date: Fri, 22 May 2020 10:56:37 +0200

Hello,

On Fri, 2020-05-22 at 09:43 +0200, Konrad Hinsen wrote:
> zimoun <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > If you feel in an experimental mood, you can try the Konrad's patch
> > [1].  It sets up the PATH accordingly and hides all the internals.
>
> In particular it hides implementation details that are likely to
> change. A look at the path in
>
>   ~/.config/guix/current/share/guile/site/3.0
>
> should be sufficient to suggest that not very long ago, this was
>
>   ~/.config/guix/current/share/guile/site/2.2
>
> and scripts have no way to figure out which one of the two is
> appropriate on a given system.

I agree with all of this, and no doubt the ability to start Guile
scripts through Guix as ad-hoc ways to run scripts is useful.

I can't help but think that it would be really useful to have a way to
inject these load paths into the general user environment, in a way
similar to `guix package --search-paths', so that the currently pulled
guix can be just another guile library to be used on the system like
any other.

Would there be downsides to this?

Alex