Re: Wi-Fi connection during gui-based installation

From: sb . nipper001
Subject: Re: Wi-Fi connection during gui-based installation
Date: Mon, 4 May 2020 08:43:28 -0400

I think I didn't reply correctly, here is follow-up again:

Thanks for responding.  I do not know how to avail me of this fix you
referenced.

 On Thu, 23 Apr 2020 22:35:37 +0200
Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Stephen,
>
> Stephen Minton <address@hidden> skribis:
>
> > I successfully put guix-system-install-1.0.1.x86_64-linux.iso on a
> > mem stick and booted.
> >
> > GUI installer hung up on connecting to wifi network (successfully
> > found interface and scanned, showing target wifi name) on message
> > "connection in progress  Connecting to ... please wait.
>
> Yeah, unfortunately we discovered this bug in the 1.1.0 image (it’s
> now fixed: <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/40682>).
>
> If it’s an option for you, I’d suggest installing over Ethernet.

Unfortunately, it is not.

> > I went to manual install, network wifi and successfully entered a
> > wpa_supplicant.conf and connected (ping -c 3 gnu.org)
> >
> > I think the script's wpa_supplicant.conf is missing some
> > parameter.  How do I specify that, or break out of the script to
> > connect to the network manually and then return?
>
> What does ‘wpa_supplicant.conf’ contains?

This is what I copied from my working system (mimicing the instruction
parameters)  was:

network={
        ssid="XXXXXXXXXXX"
        psk="xxxxxxxx"
        proto=WPA
        key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
        pairwise=TKIP
        group=TKIP
}

The 'manual instructions' say to make a wpa_supplicant.conf :

excerpt--------------------------

nano wpa_supplicant.conf

As an example, the following stanza can go to this file and will work
for many wireless networks, provided you give the actual SSID and
passphrase for the network you are connecting to:

network={
  ssid="my-ssid"
  key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
  psk="the network's secret passphrase"
}

note two keys not instructed, which I can only presume means they are
not in the gui script's wpa_supplicant.conf file and are needed by the
hot spot I am connecting to.  If I could edit this before the gui
script begins (installing the iso off my memory stick) this might do
the trick.

Does this help?

Thanks