Re: How should I be running `npm install …`?

From: Vivien Kraus
Subject: Re: How should I be running `npm install …`?
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2020 17:06:15 +0200

Hello!

Le jeudi 30 avril 2020 à 14:59 +0000, Josh Marshall a écrit :
> Hello all,
>
> The is my work email, I’m usually on IRC as “anadon”.  My laptop
> broke, so please humor the account change.
>
> Following the guide at
> https://medium.com/jeremy-keeshin/hello-world-for-javascript-with-npm-modules-in-the-browser-6020f82d1072
> , I’m trying to run `npm install -g browserify` with the output
> below.  This is something others have certainly run into, but a quick
> google search does not turn up any useful results.  How should I be
> doing this?

I am a mere guix user, so you may want to have another answer.

You cannot install anything globally with NPM in guix, because NPM is
installed in a read-only location (/gnu/store/).  This is required for
guix to work correctly.

You can use this trick:
https://github.com/sindresorhus/guides/blob/master/npm-global-without-sudo.md

Basically, it tells NPM to install to your home directory.  So that it
is still installed in a central location, but this location is read-
write.

Vivien