sane-airscan (Re: [OT] Free software compatible Multifuncion printer

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: sane-airscan (Re: [OT] Free software compatible Multifuncion printer
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2020 15:26:31 +0200

Hello Guix,

sorry for the OT but maybe this could be useful for someone else here

Giovanni Biscuolo <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> I just got a brend new HP LaserJet MFP M227sdn, HP ships hplip &
> co. since long ago and they have a pretty informative list of supported
> printers

[...]

> ...that means a bug report on Ubuntu Launchpad :-S
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/hplip/+bug/1874254

in that thread brian_p pointed me to sane-airscan
https://github.com/alexpevzner/sane-airscan

If you are a lucky owner of scanner or MFP which works via network with
Apple devices, I have a good news for you: now your scanner works with
Linux as well!

In theory, this backend should work with any scanner that supports the
eSCL protocol (unofficially known as AirScan or AirPrint scanning). In
practice, it was tested on several devices from Canon, Kyocera and HP,
and this list constantly grows, though slowly, so feedback regarding
other devices is very welcomed.

Apple maintains a comprehensive list of compatible devices, but please
note, this list contains not only scanners and MFP, but pure printers as
well.

To use this backend, you don't need to install ScanGear from Canon,
HPLIP from HP or some other proprietary software from hardware
vendor. This backend works directly with your device and doesn't depend
on a 3rd party closed source components.

I've tested it using the provided Debian 10 packages (personal repo
hosted on software.opensuse.org) and it works.

It's GPL2+ but I still have to check if there are really no blobs

I'll try and make a Guix package, if I'll be able

HTH! Gio'

--
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures