Re: Help on writing package definitions

From: Emmanuel Medernach
Subject: Re: Help on writing package definitions
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2020 14:21:20 +0200

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 12:00 PM zimoun <address@hidden> wrote:

> Dear,
>

> On Thu, 23 Apr 2020 at 10:29, Emmanuel Medernach
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > - Why not export the license record type from license.scm ? Some project
> > has its own license and I cannot create it.
>
> You mean the project's license is not part of this list [1], right?
>
> [1] https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html
>

> Otherwise, I do not have the answer for your question. :-)

Yes, it is not listed in this list because it is specific to the project. I
would like to be able to create one new license but the license function is
not exported.

> > - I have errors when I try to build with guix that I don't have when I
> > build manually. I have a package (asiofi) which depends on another one
> > (libfabric) but the build does not find it. Here is my current file
> > attached and the command I use:
> >
> > # guix build -K --load-path=/home/emederna/src/packages -e '(@ (CBM)
> > asiofi)'
>
> Does the '#' at the beginning mean that your are running as root?
>
> Well, I find easier 1/ to log in as 'emederna' user and 2/ to run
>
>   guix build -L ~/src/packages asiofi

No, I am not root, this is my prompt :)

Ok, this command is much shorter.

> > CMake Error at test/CMakeLists.txt:9 (add_executable):
> >   Target "afi_msg_bw" links to target "OFI::libfabric" but the target was
> > not
> >   found.  Perhaps a find_package() call is missing for an IMPORTED
> target,
> > or
> >   an ALIAS target is missing?
>
> From my understanding, there are 3 "issues":
>
>  a) instead of create a full new package for libfabric, you could
> update the Guix one or use 'inherit', e.g., (not tested)
>
> (define-public my-libfabric
>   (inherit libfabric
>      (version "X.Y")
>      (source blablabla)))
>
>  b) missing '#t' to the phase 'add-before'
>
>  c) missing the package 'pkg-config', i.e.,
>        #:use-module  (gnu packages pkg-config)
> and
>     ("pkgconfig" ,pkg-config)
> in the list of inputs.
>

> Now, it seems compiling on my machine. :-)

Wonderful ! It works now. Thanks for your help.

How do you debugged this issue to find that we have to add pkgconfig ?

Emmanuel