Re: How to temporarily disable Pulseaudio?

From: Julien Lepiller
Subject: Re: How to temporarily disable Pulseaudio?
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2020 11:18:41 -0400

Le 19 avril 2020 10:30:52 GMT-04:00, Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> a écrit :
>Hi!
>
>I've got a couple of sound issues which I suspect might be linked to
>Pulseaudio.
>
>I'd like to temporarily disable Pulseaudio and see if I experience
>those
>issues with ALSA alone.
>
>It seems that Pulseaudio is part of the %desktop-services.
>However it's not listed in
>
>--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>sudo herd status
>--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>
>for me.  Any idea why?
>
>Killing the pulseaudio process manually results in it being
>automatically started.  I suspect that's expected from shepherd.
>
>Any clue how to kill it for real?
>
>Cheers!

Actually pulseaudio is not started by the shepherd, it's started by your user
processes. Basically, when they try to use it and it's not present, it is
automatically started so they can talk to it. Killing it won't help, because it
will be restarted by the first app that tries to play sound.

You could make it crash at startup, but then you will get no sound at all.
That's what happens with the home manager if you don't implement a workaround.
Make your home read-only and you can get rid of pa… and all audio with it :/

The pa service is only to set a default configuration in /etc, but it's always
overwritten by configuration in your home (that's why a read-only home crashes
it). There's no process started or managed by it.