Re: about basic operation of guix sd

From: Julien Lepiller
Subject: Re: about basic operation of guix sd
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2020 13:06:56 -0400

Le 15 avril 2020 10:23:40 GMT-04:00, Satoru KURASHIKI <address@hidden> a écrit :
>hi, thank you for your reply.
>
>On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 1:30 AM Julien Lepiller <address@hidden>
>wrote:
>> I think this is a bad idea, because it might break assumptions of the
>mathematical model guix relies on. Not sure how to sync two stores
>automatically. The "guix copy" command can be used to do that manually.
>Note that guix publish will publish your whole /gnu/store,
>independently of how items were obtained.
>>
>> If you use guix publish for things that were not built on the
>official build farm, you need to have a look at guix --archive to
>generate key pairs and authorize your personal substitute server. For
>items that were built on the official build farm, it is enough to
>authorize the build farm, because these items will be detected as
>identical, even if they come from a different source.
>
>Thanks, lazy evaluating "Invoking guix copy", it seems to be handy for
>each target package!
>
>> The manual has a section "the perfect setup" that should explain
>everything if you want to contribute.
>>
>> Guix pull is indeed more or less a wrapper around git pull. The
>repository is available in the store, but because of the mathematical
>model, it is read-only and must not be modified. You can still use
>"guix edit foo" to open the package definition of foo in your favorite
>editor.
>
>OK, I wil read that section throughly when time come.
>For now I have to used to its daily administration...
>
>>> If this is not for a contribution, the next best thing you can do is
>create a channel that allows you to share your modifications (or you
>can keep them private, but share them between your computers).
>>
>> Note that the guix-daemon is only there to build and download
>packages, it doesn't know anything about available packages, etc. Your
>guix command does. That allows each user on your system to customize
>the set of available packages.
>
>Anyway, I use GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH and have managed to build small font
>package recipe.
>With some more, I will try it migrating to channel.

GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH is the deprecated way to use a channel (introduced before tge
notion of channels). If you have a working dehinition with it, you can simply
do "git init" and push it as a new repo somewhere. Then, set up your
~/.config/guix/channels.scm to use it.

To test changes in your channel you can use "-L path/to/channel/root" (same as
what you pass to GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH) with any guix command.