Re: Emacs not seeing newer packages after pull

From: Ivan Vilata i Balaguer
Subject: Re: Emacs not seeing newer packages after pull
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2020 15:44:05 -0400

Konrad Hinsen (2020-04-07 10:16:28 +0200) wrote:

> > and behold, the files are under my pulled Guix.  Yay!  However, `guix-pull`
> > in
> > Emacs still fails with a bunch of "incompatible bytecode kind" errors then
> > "guix: pull: command not found".
>
> The "incompatible byte code" messages are due to emacs-guix using Guile
> 2.2 whereas Guix is using Guile 3. They will disappear in the ongoing
> transition of everything to Guile 3. And they don't signal any real
> problem. It's the last message that is critical.

Indeed.  I see that someone already reported GuileĀ 3 incompatibilities in
<https://github.com/alezost/guix.el/issues/37>.  I'll keep an eye on that.

> > So I guess the proper way to go now is to report why `emacs-guix` on a
> > foreign
> > distro doesn't really work.  I'll look at the archives and open a new thread
> > if needed.
>
> Emacs-guix is a project separate from Guix, so it's best to open an
> issue at https://gitlab.com/emacs-guix.

Thanks for the pointer!  I see that after GitHub issues #28 and #29, Alex
added an explicit warning for foreign distro users here:
<https://github.com/alezost/guix.el#important-note-for-non-guixsd-users>.
I'll report that they result in `emacs-guix` seeing packages from the previous
pull instead.

Thanks again!

--
Ivan Vilata i Balaguer -- https://elvil.net/