Re: Guix development on GuixSD, recommended setup and process

From: Julien Lepiller
Subject: Re: Guix development on GuixSD, recommended setup and process
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2020 11:48:07 -0400

Le 31 mars 2020 09:59:23 GMT-04:00, "白い熊" <address@hidden> a écrit :
>Mar 31, 2020 14:32:26 Julien Lepiller <address@hidden>:
>
>> Hi 白い熊,
>
>Hi Julien:
>
>Thanks for your tips.
>
>> In terms of packages, they are the same: there is no difference
>between the hash of a package built from a git commit and a package
>built from guix (pulled at the same commit), so there is no more
>duplication than usual, especially since I pull every few days anyway.
>
>But is the GuixSD going to pull in changes from the git — do they get
>propagated soon? I thought the system is more “stable” in terms of not
>using the latest git pushed changes.

No, Guix System will be configured with the guix you used. If you pulled
recently, you get a recent system. Otherwise, you get an older system. Your
cloned repository is separate from guix itself, but as you noted, you can use
pre-inst-env to use that version. Unless you have local changes you want to use
in your system, running guix pull and guix system reconfigure is the same as
running reconfigure from your git checkout. In fact, guix pull is more or less
a wrapper around git pull :)

>> My system is always minimal, and I install packages in my user
>profile (or actually my home manager's profile).
>
>I'd like to do this, but don't know how to go about in — could you help
>me with a simple example?

The simplest way to do that is to use your default profile, with guix package
and its aliases. I.m talking about the profile created by guix home, my home
manager, but I don't really recommend uting it yet. You can still find it at
https://framagit.org/tyreunom/guix-home-manager

>I've read the “Guix profiles in practice”¹ webpage, but don't
>understand how to simply implement them like this?
>
>I know how to declare a system and install GuixSD. So let's say, I'll
>have a minimal system. Now I'd like to have StumpWM as the WM and then
>let's say Emacs, MC, and LibreOffice as user apps.

I think you need StumpWM to be part of your system profile (in the package
field of your operating-system declaration). Then as your user, you can install
your other software with: guix install emacs mc libreoffice

You can also use a manifest to more explicitely track installed packages. You
will want more profiles if you do development or want some special-purpose
profiles for other reasons. Software you will use in general should go to your
default profile, as they will always be available.

>Should I have two profiles — one for the home manager with StumpWM and
>one for shiroikuma (myself, the user) with mc, emacs, and libreoffice
>in it?

Sorry for talking about the home manager, I tgink I confused you. As I said
above, your window manager or desktop manager should go in the system profile,
other software in your user profile.

>What should they be — I'm not experienced enough to write them. Where
>do I call / declare them, how do I then update?
>
>Sorry for going so in depth — but if you could post the full profile
>text for this simple case and give me guidance on how to use it, I'd be
>much obliged.

It's fine, ask as much as you want :)