Emacs not seeing newer packages after pull

From: Ivan Vilata i Balaguer
Subject: Emacs not seeing newer packages after pull
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2020 00:47:52 -0400

Hi everyone!  Recently it caught my attention that emacs-guix seems to always
be on the *previous* generation of Guix, i.e. the one before the latest pull.
That is, when I do a `guix pull` and check for new packages and versions in
`guix pull --news`, when I go to the emacs-guix packages list, these packages
and versions are not there; the ones from the previous Guix generation are
instead.

Actually, if I upgrade or install such new packages from the command line,
some packages under emacs-guix appear as "from the future".

Restaring Emacs or pulling from it doesn't seem to fix things.  I also came
across the `guix-repl-use-latest` variable, but it's already `t` (in fact,
`ps` shows the right `~/.config/guix/current` paths being passed to `guile`).

I'm running Guix on top of Debian, and I also have package `guix` installed in
my profile (if I remove it, it gets even worse: the Emacs installed package
list shows most packages as "unknown").

Is this behavior expected?  Does it also happen to you?  (Hint: do you see
many blue packages "from the future" in the Emacs list.)  Maybe I'm doing
something wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help!

--
Ivan Vilata i Balaguer -- https://elvil.net/