Re: Guix repl load-path confusion

From: Jelle Licht
Subject: Re: Guix repl load-path confusion
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2020 22:40:22 +0100

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> writes:

> No clue but for what it's worth, I can't reproduce on Guix
> ce226e9d8d52d2530f057f2000d36c0d55380ade :p

Tldr: Loading the modules in $HOME/.config/guix/current in a guile repl
breaks building packages when there are overlapping directories between
your configured guix channels.

Thanks! I finally figured it out. This has to do with overlapping
directory trees in guix channels. If you have a channel which has either
an overlapping `gnu/packages/...'  (my channel) or for example the guix
home manager channel (with `guix/scripts/...'), you run into these
obscure issues.

As I can simply use my own prefixed directory structure for my own
channel, and AFAICS there has already been gwl related discussions on
how to package guix extensions such as home manager, this issue is
easily prevented.

The reason why I ran into this problem is that that
building/installing/doing anything cool with emacs-guix consistently
triggered this bug for me, as they used a repl in the background with
the appropriate load-path set up.

Should we consider this behavior a bug in guix, or simply a caveat that
we should document in the manual section on channels?

 - Jelle, who is extremely psyched about finally finding the cause
   of an issue that has been bothering me for 4 years :D