Re: Guix can't build my dummy package definition

From: Julien Lepiller
Subject: Re: Guix can't build my dummy package definition
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2020 09:50:28 -0500

Le 1 mars 2020 07:58:27 GMT-05:00, "Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski" <address@hidden> a
écrit :
>Hey Guixters !
>
>I am experimenting one way to learn how to use Guix for packaging.
>
>I've a package dummy definition in /tmp/def.scm:
>
>(use-modules
>  (guix packages)
>  (guix build-system emacs)
>  (guix licenses)
>  (guix git-download))
>
>(define-public ac-geiser
>  (package
>    (name "")
>    (version "")
>    (source
>      (origin
>        (uri
>          (git-reference (url "")
>          (commit "")))
>        (method git-fetch)
>        (sha256 (base32 ""))))
>    (build-system emacs-build-system)
>    (synopsis "")
>    (description "")
>    (license bsd-3)
>    (home-page "")))
>
>Then when I do :
>
>./pre-inst-env guix build -f /tmp/def.scm
>
>I get :
>
>guix build: error: #<unspecified>: not something we can build
>
>What is Guix trying to tell yo me ? I have no clue...
>
>Does anybody have one ?
>
>Cheers

I knew it was going to happen :)

That message is indeed not very helpful. Internally, guix evaluates the file
and uses its return value (the value the last expression evaluates to). Here,
your last expression is a define-public which does not return any value (in
other languages, it's called unit or void, in guile it's #<unspecified>). The
solution is to make sure your last expression evaluates to a package object.
Three solutions:

1. Add a new line on which you put the name of the variable you define, so it
evaluates to its content, the package object.

2. Do not wrap the package definition in a define-public, but use package
directly, so that it evaluates to a package expression directly.

3. Define your file as a module, and use -L to add it to load path. Then guix
will be able to necognise all your packages in that file by their name, instead
of only the last one (ex: guix build -L . ac-geiser), although your package has
no name yet, so it can't be found by guix that way currently.