Re: Does OS Guix works fine with Intel UHD Grapics 630?

From: zloster
Subject: Re: Does OS Guix works fine with Intel UHD Grapics 630?
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2020 09:54:28 +0200

On 27.02.2020 08:12, address@hidden wrote:
I'd prefer Core i5 9400, but I am not sure graphic card is suitable, cause
h-node has only this:
https://h-node.org/videocards/catalogue/en/1/1/undef/undef/undef/undef/video-card-works/undef?search_string=graphics+630&submit=Search

There is on h-node only Intel HD 630, but there is not Intel UHD 630.

Please, does Guix work on Core i5 9400 with Intel UHD Graphics 630 ?

znavko.
Intel is providing an open source drivers for their integrated GFX chipsets that are integrated in to the main-line Linux kernel source.

This is the kernel documentation: https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/gpu/i915.html
This is the official Intel website: https://01.org/linuxgraphics

Unfortunately they are using proprietary firmware. Guix by default is using the Linux-libre kernel which is stripping all these non-free BLOBs (at least some time ago when I last checked).

The official Intel firmware information page: https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads/firmware The BLOBs living in the kernel source tree: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/tree/i915

So to make the integrated card work with its full potential you will need to enable the usage of the binary firmware blobs. I'm not sure how well it will be working without the binary firmware BLOB. See for example this discussion: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1820270#p1820270

zloster