Re: Questions about Development Environments in Emacs (Leiningen, Intero

From: Gary Johnson
Subject: Re: Questions about Development Environments in Emacs (Leiningen, Intero)
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2020 16:22:50 -0500

Hi Pierre,

You are correct that Clojure development via CIDER is dependent upon
having at least one of the three Clojure build tools installed and on
your PATH. These are your choices (in order of age):

- lein    https://leiningen.org/
- boot    https://boot-clj.com/
- clojure https://clojure.org/guides/getting_started

All three are simply shell scripts that download their respective JARs
into $HOME/.lein, $HOME/.boot, $HOME/.clojure, and/or
$HOME/.m2/repository.

For lein and boot, I just manually install them into a scripts directory
in my $HOME directory and add that to my $PATH in my ~/.bashrc. For
clojure, I pass the installdir option to its installation script to put
all of its files in $HOME/local (which I add to my PATH instead of using
the global /usr/local).

Creating a Guix package for any of these three tools shouldn't be all
that difficult, but I have unfortunately not yet taken the time to put
them together. If someone does create them though (particularly one for
`clojure`), I would be quite happy indeed.

Happy hacking,
  Gary

--
GPG Key ID: 7BC158ED
Use `gpg --search-keys lambdatronic' to find me

Please avoid sending me MS-Office attachments.