Re: guix pull: error: getting status of /var/guix/gcroots

From: mlell
Subject: Re: guix pull: error: getting status of /var/guix/gcroots
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2020 11:29:03 +0100

Hi Jimmy!

I guess they are reducing the capabilities allowed to their build platform
but I can really tell what operation is guix pull attempting in this
particular case.

Do you have any possibility to run guix pull with strace? strace is a program that logs all the system calls [1] of another program,
so you might see what operation is failing.

But for this, you must modify the startup file of guix-daemon! Because `guix pull` only forwards requests to `guix-daemon`, which does all the work! I don't know how to do it in docker, but, for my Arch Linux system, there is a `guix-daemon` service file at
 /etc/systemd/system/guix-daemon.service.

There, you can find a line starting with "ExecStart=". This is the command to run the daemon. Prepend `strace -o /tmp/guix-daemon.strace.log` to the command to log all the system calls to the file /tmp/guix-daemon.stace.log

Hope that helps,
Moritz

[1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_call#Categories_of_system_calls