Emacs, distro with guix as package manager and guix.d

From: Todor Kondić
Subject: Emacs, distro with guix as package manager and guix.d
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2020 08:55:13 +0000

Hi,

The documentation claims that emacs installed by guix "knows" where the site
packages, including the guix.d installed packages are found. But, this seems
not to be the case, at least for one of my setups.

I have multiple profiles, one of them reserved for emacs. Among the packages in
that profile, there is only a single one in site-lisp/guix.d . This is the
*ess* package. This is also a single package that does not load properly.

The EMACSLOADPATH variable contains .../share/emacs/site-lisp and
.../share/emacs/26.3/lisp paths, where ... is the profile path. I do not see
any mention of guix.d there, but then, maybe it is not supposed to be there.

On another computer, also with hybrid distro, I have exactly the same profile
setup, but ess works. The EMACSLOADPATH seems to have been built up in an
analogous fashion, again no mention of guix.d.

Does anyone have any hints as to why ess might not get properly loaded, or what
should I look for? The only difference I can currently think of is that in the
former case (the setup that does not work), I start emacs from the command
line, and in the latter as a deamon, so there might be something wrong with the
environment.

Cheers,

Todor

PS Great talks last Sunday ;-). Sorry I did not say hello to more of you, but
had to catch the train back home.