Re: Could anyone please package RStudio?

From: Kyle Andrews
Subject: Re: Could anyone please package RStudio?
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2020 00:51:37 -0500

Ricardo Wurmus writes:

> Hi Kyle,

Hi Ricardo,

> It’s on my list to eventually package a more recent version of Rstudio.
> I’ve been using the older version for quite some time at the institute,
> but it’s possible that with recent upgrades to Guix the package no
> longer builds.
>
> One obstacle to adding RStudio to Guix is that Java to JavaScript
> compiler that hasn’t been packaged yet.  In my package definition we’re
> using the prebuilt Jar as a blob.

I read a little about these Google GWT
(http://www.gwtproject.org/gettingstarted.html) and Google GIN
(https://gwtplus.github.io/google-gin/site/index.html) packages. Both
pieces of software are licensed asl2.0. From what I could tell reading
the documentation for GWT, it doesn't appear to need to be
built. Atleast with my monkey patching I noticed it complaining that:

    Buildfile: build.xml does not exist!

The same thing happens with GIN, but I have never used either of these
tools so I'm in the dark with respect to their typical behavior. I tried
to build both of these packages, but I don't really know what I'm
doing. I put the package definitions I wrote in a snippet on the Debian
pastebin here:

https://paste.debian.net/1128951

Maybe it may at least save someone a minute or two?

> I won’t be able to work on this soon (probably not before March), but I
> can lend a hand to whoever would like to package RStudio now.

Thanks for the offer of help. I look foward to when RStudio is merely
a ~guix install rstudio~ away.

Best Regards,
Kyle