Re: Guix as a package manager for Emacs

From: EuAndreh
Subject: Re: Guix as a package manager for Emacs
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2020 12:34:36 -0300

zimoun <address@hidden> writes:

> The easiest way to achieve similar is to use a manifest file, IMHO.
>
> Let consider the file below named '/tmp/my-emacs-config.scm', then it
> is easy to create a profile (or environment):
>
>    guix package -m /tmp/my-emacs-config.scm -p /tmp/my-profile
>
> and the Emacs living in this very profile should be correctly setup-ed
> for your needs. Therefore let source the profile or whatever and done.
> :-)

At first I though guix would install the packages, but Emacs would be
unable to look them up on the store. I didn't realize the final profile
would setup Emacs to correctly look them up.

So I was missing an 'emacsWithPackage' tool that would do that binding,
but it doesn't actually seem necessary.

Using a manifest seems a good solution, I'll try it out.

Thanks for the code snippet too. Hopefull I'll get it working and
write/blog about it.

:)