Re: TeX Live issues

From: Marco van Hulten
Subject: Re: TeX Live issues
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2020 21:17:14 +0100

Je 19 jan 17:34 skribis Marco:
> I had GUIX_LOCPATH set but did not have glibc-locales installed.
> Installing this packages solved the issue and I can now compile TeX
> files with success.  Thanks for the help!
>
> To recap, to reduce the damage of going off-topic, compiling a TeX file
> with {,lua}latex works when only texlive-base is installed.  I had to
> do this:
>
>     guix pull --branch=core-updates
>     guix package -r texlive texlive-bin texlive-latex-base -i texlive-base

I've done all these things (locales, installed only texlive-base from
core-updates branch, removed any other texlive* packages and removed
~/.texlive*), now under a different user, same Guix system.  I have
issues again:

```
$ lualatex apen
This is LuaTeX, Version 1.10.0 (TeX Live 2019)
 restricted system commands enabled.

kpathsea: Running mktexfmt lualatex.fmt
mktexfmt: mktexfmt is using the following fmtutil.cnf files (in precedence
order):
mktexfmt: mktexfmt is using the following fmtutil.cnf file for writing changes:
mktexfmt:   /home/otheruser/.texlive2019/texmf-config/web2c/fmtutil.cnf
mktexfmt [INFO]: writing formats under
/home/otheruser/.texlive2019/texmf-var/web2c
mktexfmt [INFO]: did not find entry for byfmt=lualatex, skipped
mktexfmt [INFO]: Total formats: 0
mktexfmt [INFO]: exiting with status 0
I can't find the format file `lualatex.fmt'!
```

Given the similarity of the issue (except for that this does not now
relate to the package texlive-bin-20180414 as it is not installed), the
fact that I won't have a lot of time at the moment and don't want to
waste other people's time, and that there will be a next staging branch
soon, would it be best to wait when the latter happens and switch to
that one?

Of course, if there is still an actual issue (instead of user error) it
may actually be relevant to look at this more closely (but I don't know
anymore!), so here is at least some info:

    $ guix package -I | grep texlive
    texlive-base        51265   out
/gnu/store/iccw4cdkcgmccl5svndji830k55v9cxy-texlive-base-51265

—Marco