guix pull: error: symlink: File exists

From: Jimmy Thrasibule
Subject: guix pull: error: symlink: File exists
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2020 22:11:36 +0100

Hi,

I'm working on an Alpine Docker image with the Guix package manager [1].
The container is building and can run Guix without the ``--privileged``
option.

The installation process is based on the documentation and the installation
script [2]. Everything is working fine however, when I run ``guix pull`` in
the generated image, I got the following error:

    Migrating profile generations to '/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root'...
    guix pull: error: symlink: File exists: "
/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/current-guix"

This issue has already been discussed at [3] but the workaround to delete
all the links in the directory ``/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root`` is
causing some troubles:

1. If I want to ship a ready to use image and delete the links upfront,
``guix daemon`` will fail to start since ``/root/.config/guix/current`` is
broken.
2. Users of the image can delete the links themselves but this is not
really friendly.

So what is exactly causing this error and what would be a good option to
fix it?

[1] https://hub.docker.com/repository/docker/x237net/alpine-guix
[2] https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/plain/etc/guix-install.sh
[3] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2018-12/msg00098.html