Re: jfs, jfsutils?

From: Gábor Boskovits
Subject: Re: jfs, jfsutils?
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2020 20:04:04 +0100

Hello,

Michael Zucchi <address@hidden> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. dec. 31., K, 7:27):

> Well it failed in 'make check' so I stopped going further as I didn't
> want some other fault causing a mess.
>
> The critical detail is that my kernel has "CONFIG_IA32_EMULATION" turned
> off.
>
> In my original query I included some output from tests/challenge.log:

> warning: authentication and authorization of substitutes disabled!
> @ build-started
> /home/notzed/src/guix/test-tmp/store/wr9c2ddgxlgifni61caxd2ain8b7rqv5-guile-bootstrap-2.0.drv
> - x86_64-linux
> /home/notzed/src/guix/test-tmp/var/log/guix/drvs/wr//9c2ddgxlgifni61caxd2ain8b7rqv5-guile-bootstrap-2.0.drv.bz2
> 8592
> while setting up the build environment: executing
> `/home/notzed/src/guix/test-tmp/store/f0ips0sdyhnhlfdqayvcbddqlijk7iid-bash':
> Exec format error
>
> gnu/packages/bootstrap.scm:128 uses the 'i686-linux' directory for
> 'x86_64-linux' architecture, and gnu/packages/bootstrap/i686-linux has
> 32-bit binaries (obviously!).
>
> I tried adding a x86_64 block to %bootstrap-executables and creating
> softlinks in gnu/packages/bootstrap/x86_64 but most tests want to
> download them from git.savannah.gnu.org, and tests/derivations.scm still
> tries to run the 32-bit binaries anyway.

> On 31/12/19 11:12 am, Josh Marshall wrote:
> > I would expect guix to bootstrap and run on x86_64.  I thought it
> > worked on my systems.  I'd be interested to hear more about this.
> >
> > On Mon, Dec 30, 2019, 18:38 Michael Zucchi <address@hidden
> > <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:
> >
> >     On 12/12/19 10:27 am, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice wrote:
> >     >
> >     > If you're completely new to Guix that might sound daunting, but
> >     it's
> >     > honestly not that hard and you should get plenty of help on the
> >     > mailing list and/or on IRC.
> >     >

> >     Sorry Tobias, but I haven't been able to progress any further on
> >     this.
> >     As far as I can tell the guix boostrap process doesn't support
> >     amd64-only systems so although I can compile it, it doesn't pass
> >     'make
> >     check' and so I didn't try further.  32-bit executables are
> >     disabled in
> >     my kernel and bootstrap.scm just assumes they work based on the
> >     architecture.

I believe this is related to the method guix is bootstrapped on x86_64
currently.
As far as I know there is a minimal bootstrap seed which is 32 bits,
and the final
bootstrap is cross-compiled to x86_64. The problem is that for the
sake of simplicity
the current bootstrap binaries were created with 32 bits in mind. I am
sure that they
would appreciate any help to get x86_64 bootstrapped directly. Does
that make sense?

> >     I asked on IRC but I'm in the 'wrong' timezone to get any useful
> >
> >     Also, sort of related and I know it's not guix's fault but it's
> >     somewhat
> >     difficult to find anything useful about guix using any search engine.
> >
> >     Regards,

Best regards,
g_bor
--
OpenPGP Key Fingerprint: 7988:3B9F:7D6A:4DBF:3719:0367:2506:A96C:CF63:0B21