Re: Questions about Development Environments in Emacs (Leiningen, Intero

From: John Soo
Subject: Re: Questions about Development Environments in Emacs (Leiningen, Intero)
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2020 08:01:42 -0800

Hi Pierre!

> On Jan 3, 2020, at 12:24 AM, Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> I'm facing a similar issue at the moment.  Does anyone have a good
> answer to develop Haskell or Clojure with Emacs on Guix?

I write a fair bit of Haskell. I find that I like to use cabal-install to
develop, then make a .scm file for the guix package separately.

haskell-mode works well in this workflow. There are a few tweaks to make, to
get the most out of it.  cabal complains if GHC_PACKAGE_PATH is set, so I use
the Elisp variable haskell-process-wrapper-function to add "env -u
GHC_PACKAGE_PATH" prior to the cabal commands.

The only other complaint I have is that flycheck-haskell only supports stack.
haskell-mode has excellent error reporting, though.  So I’ve never had a major
complaint.

We could probably package stack. It is widely used in industry so it could make
guix more usable. That would also start intero support.  I am not sure if
intero is maintained anymore, though. If they don’t find a maintainer I am not
sure it will make it into guix.

Happy hacking!

John