Re: Lazy users and updates

From: Konrad Hinsen
Subject: Re: Lazy users and updates
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2019 15:56:07 +0100

Am 27.12.19 um 14:29 schrieb Todor Kondić:

Given the user-centric approach of Guix, it feels like it should be up to
individual users of a shared system to deal with installations and the system
updates. But, what to do when they are lazy, or too novice for fiddling with
the command line?

Do I use the admin's prerogative and set their own crontabs to pull and "package
-u" once in a while? I feel like this is overriding their free will for their own
good.

Note that the question is ethical, as much as technical :)

Ask your users what they prefer. I'd want to handle this myself, but many of my colleagues would prefer an admin to take care of all updating. We are all different :-)

Cheers,
  Konrad.