very old daemon = no substitutes?

From: Thomas Danckaert
Subject: very old daemon = no substitutes?
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2019 12:53:12 +0100 (CET)

Hi Guix,

I'm reconfiguring my system after almost one year without updates (meaning guix-daemon in my system profile is at version 0.16.0-8.7ba2b27, dating from january 2019).

I ran guix pull (now at commit c109d32) and had to rebuild *a lot* (guile, git, I believe multiple versions of gcc, ...). Now I'm reconfiguring, and it feels like I'm still building the whole world and not getting any substitutes (despite messages such as 'updating substitutes from https://ci.guix.info' and 'updating substitutes from https://berlin.guixsd.org')... could this be due to the old daemon, and should things improve once I have reconfigured a basic system with an up-do-date daemon, or is there something suspicious here?

thank you for any help!

Thomas