Re: gpg-agent error: No pinentry

From: Gábor Boskovits
Subject: Re: gpg-agent error: No pinentry
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2019 20:12:30 +0100

Hello Marco,

Marco van Hulten <address@hidden> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. dec. 20.,
P, 10:49):

> Following up on my pinentry issue—
>
> In the end I used a work-around.  I decrypted the sensitive file on an
> off-line OpenBSD machine onto a mounted USB flash drive, then mounted
> the drive to the Guix machine, did what I needed to do with the file,
> shredded any copy of the file and finally removed the USB drive and
> destroyed it with a hammer.

I am sorry that this ended up like this.

If you still have the patience to experiment a little could you try
with pinentry-tty on the console and pinentry-gtk on a gui?

It might be a valuable experience, and a feedback that our simple
pinentry is faulty in some ways.

I have extracted the inforamtions from my config, and it looks like this:

manifest: (specifications->manifest '("gnupg" "pinentry-tty"))

I also use guix home-manager on this particular machine, the related
config items look like:

(define gpg-agent.conf
(plain-file "gpg-agent.conf" "
pinentry-program /home/<username>/.guix-profile/bin/pinentry
"))

and

(home
 (data-directory "/data/<username>")
 (configurations
  (list (simple-file-home gpg-agent.conf
".home-config/.gunpg/gpg-agent.conf"))))

I am using bash, and I also have:

At the end of my .bashrc:
export GPG_TTY=$(tty)

And at the end of my .bash_profile:

gpg-agent --options /home/gabriel/.home-config/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf --daemon

I believe that is all.

Could you have a look if it works for you with these settings? Also,
please not that these are for console only use, most probably some
other tweaks are needed to use this form a gui.

> —Marco

Best regards,
g_bor
--
OpenPGP Key Fingerprint: 7988:3B9F:7D6A:4DBF:3719:0367:2506:A96C:CF63:0B21