How to install a cross-compile toolchain?

From: Vivien Kraus
Subject: How to install a cross-compile toolchain?
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2019 19:51:27 +0100

Hello guix!

Trying to understand why gmp fails when cross-compiled as mingw (it
cannot use g++...), I wanted to know if I could get a guix environment,
but with cross-compiled dependencies.  Or at least install a
cross-compiler.

guix environment does not recognize --target=i686-w64-mingw32.

It has a --system, but it seems like a system to bootstrap guix: it does
not work with i686-w64-mingw32 (no linker) nor i686-mingw (guix
environment: error: could not find bootstrap binary 'tar' for system
'i686-mingw')

I cannot find any package that could provide i686-w64-mingw32-
cross-tools when in an environment.

Outside of an environment, I can't seem to find how to install a
cross-compiler.  I tried to install mingw-w64-i686, and I cannot find
any option to guix install that would let me change the target of
gcc-toolchain.

How would you install i686-w64-mingw32-gcc?

Best regards,

Vivien