Re: jfs, jfsutils?

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: jfs, jfsutils?
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2019 00:57:54 +0100

Michael,

Michael Zucchi 写道:
I just built a new computer and thought i'd give guix a go

That's great to hear!  Welcome.

but after
finally getting everything working to the install stage ... I hit a personal showstopper - no jfs support whatsoever. It's mostly an afterthought on every other distribution but this was a surprise.

Any reason for this or is it just that nobody thought of it?

s/thought/uses/

Nobody's going to add support for a file system they don't use, and nobody boots Guix from JFS.

…yet. :-)

Anyway, I just ended up installing slackware-current and have then
installed guix atop that, to grab a few packages and to get more
familiar with it. I would probably have had to do that anyway as it was probably too much to learn at once but I currently have a lot of
spare time to fill, so tried guix first.

Spare time sucks, consider contributing JFS support to Guix instead.

Assuming it's a pretty conventional Linux file system:

- Guix's Linux-Libre kernel already builds the module (CONFIG_JFS_FS=m)
- it just needs to be added to the initramfs when booting from JFS
- jfsutils needs to be packaged for Guix and a static fsck added to the initramfs - some code must be added to (gnu build file-systems) to read JFS labels & UUIDs: Guix does not use C tools to do this like other distributions.

If you're completely new to Guix that might sound daunting, but it's honestly not that hard and you should get plenty of help on the mailing list and/or on IRC.

Kind regards,

T G-R