Re: gfortran seems to require gcc-toolchain

From: Konrad Hinsen
Subject: Re: gfortran seems to require gcc-toolchain
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2019 11:43:45 +0100

Hi Marius,

>>> With your patch, I can compile Fortran programs in an environment
>>> containing nothing but "gfortran", so I'd say it works!

Not quite, in fact. What I had tested successfully is compiling
a Fortran file to a .o file. Linking .o files into an executable
still fails:

  /gnu/store/wzia23i6ngqaaz0kd2il7s30758dxvca-profile/bin/ld: cannot find
crt1.o: No such file or directory

I had to add glibc to my environment to get an executable. So it seems
that compiling Fortran programs requires gfortran + binutils + glibc.

Cheers,
  Konrad.