Re: Installing Guix System on an external hard drive

From: Marius Bakke
Subject: Re: Installing Guix System on an external hard drive
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2019 15:49:23 +0100

Jan <address@hidden> writes:

> Tried this, but didn't work, also tried mounting the partition at
> "/boot/efi" and installing bootloader at "/boot". I'm installing Guix
> form a not-UEFI machine, could this cause the problem?

Did you get the same error when you mounted at /boot/efi?

If you want the USB drive to be 'portable', i.e. not tied to a single
system, you can not use 'grub-efi-bootloader'.  The reason is that
grub-efi relies on updating UEFI firmware variables *on the running
system*, to make the newly installed bootloader show up in the UEFI boot
menu.

For the same reason, it is not possible to use it on a non-UEFI system.

It would be good to have a 'grub-standalone-bootloader' procedure that
would write a self-contained UEFI firmware executable to a standard
location, similar to what Guix does for disk images:

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/build/vm.scm?id=4dcf32b56b824efcdb181c9f4cc7ee6c8a0ba125#n399

Would you like to try implementing it?