Re: upgrading systems with <= 2 GiB RAM

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: upgrading systems with <= 2 GiB RAM
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2019 20:32:24 -0800

Marco van Hulten <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello—
>
> I have an oldish amd64 system with 2 GiB of memory, but it is fast
> enough to use as a media center.  Guix was last updated early this
> year.  Upgrading it now takes many days.  It keeps on swapping (using
> quite consistently 2 of 4 GiB of swap available).
>
> Do you think the swapping is the reason that it takes so long?
>
> Would it be a general strong advice to use more than 2 GiB, or is it
> likely useful to give details like which program is compiling (as in a
> proper bug report)?
>
> —Marco

If you wind up compiling things, it will likely fail on larger builds.
For example, my old machine which has 2 GB of RAM fails when trying to
compile IceCat.  I suppose the only possible solution is to always use
pre-built binaries, either by using substitutes or by building first on
a machine with more memory, and then copying the results over via "guix
copy" or "guix archive".

--
Chris