Re: “Guix Profiles in Practice”

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: “Guix Profiles in Practice”
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2019 15:33:48 +0100

Hello,

Jonathan Frederickson <address@hidden> skribis:

> On Nov 3, 2019, at 9:24 AM, Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote
>> Now, this would be very much stateful: you can’t tell in advance whether
>> you’re going to build a new profile based on the current Guix, or
>> whether you’re going to reuse a previously cached profile that could be
>> arbitrarily old.  That doesn’t sound great.
>
> What if something identifying the profile (directory name? config file?)
> included info about the Guix revision it was built from? That way a profile
> would be reused if it’s built from the same Guix revision, but if you switch
> revisions it’d be rebuilt.

Then in that case you’re just looking for a form of caching, is that
correct?

If ‘guix environment’ were 10 times faster, it’d be just fine, right?

(It’s not getting 10 times faster any time soon I’m afraid :-), but just
to make sure I understand whether we’re talking about a UI issue or a
performance issue.)

Thanks,
Ludo’.