Re: “Guix Profiles in Practice”

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: “Guix Profiles in Practice”
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2019 12:25:01 +0100

Actually maybe we could generalize both features into one.

What's the difference between the two approaches?

- `guix develop' takes a path and guesses the manifest spec filename.
- `guix install-manifest' takes a manifest spec filename as argument.

What about supporting both?  It's easy, we simply need to check if the
argument is a folder or not.

David that the manifest be installed  to ~/.guix-develop-profile.  I
suggest instead that we all manifest have their own folder,
e.g. according to their path.

For example

- foo/bar/manifest.scm -> ~/.guix-extra-profiles/foo/bar
- foo2/bar/manifest.scm -> ~/.guix-extra-profiles/foo2/bar

This way the user needs not worry that the profiles get overwritten.

David suggested that the command automatically activated the profile.
To achieve this would could implement `guix environment --profile
/path/to/profile', and `guix develop` would run this automatically in
the background.

Thoughts?

--
Pierre Neidhardt