Re: Emacs in multiple profiles

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: Emacs in multiple profiles
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2019 23:05:20 -0400

Hello Pierre,

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> writes:

> Maxim Cournoyer <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Maybe it is just my ignorance about XDG_DATA_DIRS, but, wouldn't it be
>> more natural to use Emacs native mean of finding packages, akin to
>> Python's PYTHONPATH?  Emacs has the EMACSLOADPATH for this; per the
>> Emacs manual:
>
> Well, I'd say it's my ignorance, not yours!
>
>> I had a working branch implementing this a long time ago; I could try
>> reviving it if you have an interested in it.
>
> This seems to be the right thing to do, I'd say go ahead, I'd be happy
> to review / test / send feedback for your patch!

I've thought some more about this, and perhaps such a simple change the
patch attached could do?  It's late and I haven't tried it yet, sorry.
Will try it out later.  You'll have to rebuild just Emacs and the Emacs
packages you use.

Various cleanups could be undertaken in both Guix (no longer need the
set-emacsloadpath phase in the emacs-build-system) and Emacs-Guix (no
need for custom logic looking into ~/.guix-profile) and perhaps other
places should this get merged.

Maxim

--
This is perhaps obsoleted by the above, but feel free to study

Here is a branch of the two commits, based off master:
https://gitlab.com/Apteryks/guix/tree/guixify-emacs-packages-discovery.

Sadly, this is a world rebuilding change, due to having extended the
search-path-specification record so that it supported declaring a
trailing separator.