Re: Problem logging in using GDM

From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
Subject: Re: Problem logging in using GDM
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2019 23:24:54 +0200

On Sat, Oct 19, 2019 at 10:58:56PM +0200, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> Other problems may include a failure to start some user services via
> dbus.
>
> This is tricky and frustrating.  I hope someone here will come up with
> an idea to make this more robust.

When I was trying to debug a different GDM error
<https://issues.guix.info/issue/36221>, I patched gdm for debugging
(see attachment): I had to add more g_debug calls to many places in
the code so I could see where it went wrong.  It was really ugly, but
I do not know of a better way to debug GDM.  Let’s hope it won’t be
necessary here and TTY1 output and /var/log/gdm/greeter.log and the
like are enough.

Regards,
Florian