Re: Emacs in multiple profiles

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: Emacs in multiple profiles
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2019 10:57:25 +0200

George Clemmer <address@hidden> writes:

> I provided an example of how I use emacs and the _non-default behavior_
> of non-default profiles that I find particularly powerful in Guix. Of
> course it's not the only way to go, but I thought it might be of
> interest for your article.

Indeed, good point!

>> The problem I'm trying to address here is that of the default behaviour
>> of non-default profiles (actually: profiles in general).
>
> It wasn't clear until the sentence above that you are limiting the
> article to _default behaviour_. IMO, this is selling non-default
> profiles short.  E.G. kinda like writing a blog about 'guix environment'
> without mentioning '--pure'.

This is a good point.  Would you have example use cases that cannot be
done using the "profile default behaviour"? (Beside Emacs)

With regard to the case of Emacs, I believe that if we fix multi-profile
support, your script could be replace with a simple

GUIX_PROFILE=foo && . $GUIX_PROFILE/etc/profile && emacs

Cool, nah? :)

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/