Re: Why 'iw dev' does not show wireless device?

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: Why 'iw dev' does not show wireless device?
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2019 14:36:18 -0400

Hello ZNavko,

address@hidden writes:

> (Double). Yes, Tobias, I've dug this finally. This wifi card is not supported
> by LinuxLibre.
>
> Please, would you give me advice, what to choose from mass-market ( in Russia
> dns-shop.ru )
> for LinuxLibre and Guix in price under 540 euro ( 40.000 Roubles ) ???
>
> I found this https://certification.ubuntu.com/desktop
> But not sure it will exactly work with LinuxLibre. Also h-node lack some
> contemporary models.
>
> October 6, 2019 6:17 PM, "Tobias Geerinckx-Rice" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Znavko,
>>
>> address@hidden 写道:
>>
>>> # lspci -vvnn > wifi
>>> # nano wifi
>>> Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless
>>> Network Adapter
>>> Kernel driver in use: ath10k_pci
>>> Kernel modules: ath10k_pci
>>> Please, what to do? I cannot get the name of the network device.
>>
>> All ath10k devices of which I'm aware require proprietary firmware
>> blobs that Guix won't ship and Linux-Libre won't load. Even
>> though the kernel driver is loaded, I suspect you'll find some
>> firmware-related errors in dmesg.
>>
>> I'm sorry,
>>
>> T G-R

You could try finding a device certified by the FSF's Respect Your
Freedom (RYF) program, see: https://www.fsf.org/resources/hw.

FWIW, I'm using one such device [0], and it works great.  Alternatively,
you could purchase a device using a supported chipset (the device linked
uses the Atheros AR9271 chipset); the hardware vendor shouldn't matter
much if the kernel has free drivers (and/or firmware) for the chip used
by it.

HTH,

Maxim

[0]: