Re: Reminder to remain civil

From: Quiliro Ordóñez
Subject: Re: Reminder to remain civil
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2019 12:54:21 -0700

El 2019-10-12 03:32, Ricardo Wurmus escribió:
> Jens Mølgaard <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Please keep the language here civil.  We don’t need more anger on our
>>> lists.  If you feel frustrated, please take some time off email [...]
>>
>> I agree about the language, but I have to say that I share ng0's
>> sentiment, and I'd like to weigh in for some more moderation of these
>> topics.
>
> You and I agree.  We have already pointed out to Jean Louis that this
> behaviour is unacceptable on our mailing lists.  Posts from
> non-subscribers are also moderated since a few days.
>
>> Personally, I think putting some people in a moderation queue is a good
>> idea.
>
> This is the next step.
>
> Thank you for your support!

So we are officially on a censored list, where the ones in power of the
administration and their followers control the others' speech because
there is not an agreement on netiquette on others' terms but on the
terms they impose. That is the usual way oppressive regimes justify
their proceedings. It is not a way that kind people proceed.

If there is a real intention of safety and kind communication, I suggest
to avoid censorship, even if the best communication procedures follow
the netiquette you propose (and to which I agree upon, except for the
censorship which you chose to call moderation). I suggest to try and
keep civility by showing and suggesting civility instead of imposing it.
Imposing it would be absolutely non-civil.

Regarding that the "civil" people abandon the list, I suggest to propose
those who agree with the censors to create a list where they invite only
the ones that think such moderation is acceptable. When a person has
entered that list and has accepted and later refused to accept those
terms, it is also their right to change their mind. All freedom in
history has been gained that way. So that way you are not censoring
anyone, you are just sharing you personal space with the ones which
agree with you. But if you would do that, you would be alone unless you
find someone that has no opinion and is only obeying you. At some point,
there is always imposition if there is censorship.