Re: Joint statement on the GNU Project

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Joint statement on the GNU Project
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2019 06:09:48 +0200

* Dimakakos Dimos <address@hidden> [2019-10-08 12:38]:
> On the subject, I think that the discussion of rms's position in GNU is
> valid but that at the same time such an announcment should be made after
> a careful consideration and research.

There was no public discussion. I am not against their opinion, and
any discussion, I don't mind for hackers, guix, script kiddies, or
wannabes to discuss anything, I don't mind for millions of rumor
mongers in this world.

What I do mind is that they are using funds of the FSF to defame and
harass RMS. The one who gave them GUIX.GNU.ORG website and domain, web
space, and one who has created GNU Project.

> Do we have evidence that rms has caused harm to GNU's projects?

There is no evidence.

He is entitled to his opinion.

For any project in the world, Mother Theresa even, there will be
thoughtless people who are complaining for something.

You can pour cash onto people, you will find people
complaining. Always. It is social phenomena.

> Even in the aspect of diversity and community building, do we have
> evidence that rms is block or is it that we just play along with a
> media campaign, that was in a fact a full on personality attack on
> rms, by going as far as misquoting him.

Facts (even if you know them):
https://geoff.greer.fm/2019/09/30/in-defense-of-richard-stallman/
https://sterling-archermedes.github.io/

> I would like to hear you expand on ways that the empowerment of all
> computer users was undermined by rms. I write all these in good
> faith. On one hand I can accept that if there is concrete evidence,
> on the other hand I see in the web media, people, associated with
> companies that would like the software freedom fronts to collapse,
> bash and drive out a person that offered his life to create and
> support the movement.

I have tried asking Ludovick Courtès to tell me facts. I was genuinely
interested, he has no facts. He is basing that opinion on rumour,
there is no fact that RMS ever hurt "core values of GNU project over
years" that is nonsense.

Everybody is entitled to opinion and so is RMS.

When that Media article came out, instead to show some loyalty and
research the statements, which one could easily find not to be true,
they started bashing on RMS.

> In my opinion the timing is a bit off. By trying to solve whatever issue
> the community has with rms at this particular point,

Let us not generalize, "community" is generalization. Ludovick Courtès
did not allow comments on his page, but there are comments on that on
various other pages, there are hundreds contrary comments already, and
just 2-3 people are joining their "statement" in the sense. Obviously
that is "small group within larger group of GNU maintainers".

It is not community that has a problem. It is them, right now 24, and
I would like to see their integrity to fork the GNU project elsewhere
and call it their own name, as GNU is a trademark.

> is like validating the misinformation that has spread this last
> month about his name. It's like the whole character assasination
> that happens on web is valid so we need to cancel rms. I think this
> is totally unfair. At the same time it's also important to move our
> community forward in ways that include every person and also enable
> people of all kinds of background to take part in GNU and this way
> realize the software freedom ideals.

It is more than unfair, it also shows that RMS has not enacted enough
enforcing of policies. He is probably waiting for people to speak out,
because he is waaaay to kind for this mob.

>      2. How does rms with his afformentioned role undermine diversity
>      and inclusivity of people working in GNU projects?

I hope to see the facts, but now I know they have none.

Jean

I am asking those people who are pretending to represent all of the
GNU project and who are defaming and slandering RMS[1] to step down
and resign, do your software hacking somewhere else, you do not
deserve funding that RMS is giving you. Ludovic Courtès, Ricardo
Wurmus, Matt Lee, Andreas Enge, Samuel Thibault, Carlos O'Donell, Andy
Wingo, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso, Mark Wielaard, Ian Lance Taylor,
Werner Koch, Daiki Ueno, Christopher Lemmer Webber, Jan Nieuwenhuizen,
John Wiegley, Tom Tromey, Jeff Law, Han-Wen Nienhuys, Joshua Gay, Ian
Jackson, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice, Andrej Shadura, Zack Weinberg, John
W. Eaton, RESIGN and step down from GNU projects, disassociate
yourself, find another house for your excessive and uncrontollable
fear of the free speech.

Facts: