Re: Authentication prompt when changing brightness

From: Vagrant Cascadian
Subject: Re: Authentication prompt when changing brightness
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2019 17:18:00 -0700

On 2019-10-07, David Wilson wrote:
> Should I be able to use "brightnessctl" without sudo if I'm in the
> "video" group?  Looks like I'm not able to:
>
> ---
> λ brightnessctl set 200
> Can't modify brightness: Permission denied
>
> You should run this program with root privileges.
> Alternatively, get write permissions for device files.

You have to configure the udev rule in your system configuration; using
the rules shipped with the brightnessctl package works:

  (udev-configuration (inherit config)
                                        (rules (cons brightnessctl

(udev-configuration-rules config)))))

Which I pretty much took straight from the udev rule for android devices
in the manual:

  https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Base-Services.html

live well,
  vagrant