Re: Guix re-installing already installed packages

From: L p R n d n
Subject: Re: Guix re-installing already installed packages
Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2019 17:48:40 +0200

Hello,

Tirifto <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello!
>
> I installed TeXmacs using Guix on Parabola GNU+Linux-libre. TeXmacs is
> already the newest version (1.99.11) and whenever I run ‘guix pull’, no
> upgrades for TeXmacs are reported—so far, so good.
>
> However, once I actually run ‘guix upgrade’, Guix starts downloading
> TeXmacs with all of its dependencies again, even though it's already
> up-to-date on my computer. Should this be happening?

With Guix, a package can be modified by a lot of parameters (inputs), not only
version. If you want to know if Guix is downloading the exact same
package, you should check its hash (which is the result of all its
inputs).
What probably happens here is that a dependency of Texmacs has changed
since your last guix pull which gives us a new version of Texmacs'
package.

> I don't know if it's related, but ‘guix weather’ shows that there are
> no substitutes available for TeXmacs.

Most of the time, just waiting should be enough to get the substitutes
but looking at ci.guix.info, it seems a dependency is failing on master
(but it's repaired on core-updates which should be merge soonish). But
don't quote me on that, I'm not really used to this tool.

> Best wishes
> // Tirifto

Hope it helps,

L  p R n  d n