Re: Doubt regarding waiting for substitutes

From: L p R n d n
Subject: Re: Doubt regarding waiting for substitutes
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2019 10:57:13 +0200

Hello,

sirmacik <address@hidden> writes:

> Raghav Gururajan <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hello Guix!
>>
>> After `guix pull`, I usually run `guix upgrade --dry-run` to check
>> which derivations will be built. If I find heavy ones like icecat,
>> evolution, calibre, kodi, qtwebkit etc., what is the general rule of
>> thumb waiting period for the substitutes to be available for those
>> packages, before I re-run `guix upgrade`? Assuming I will not be doing
>> another `guix pull` during the waiting.
>
> Hey Guix!
>
> I'd like to bump the question. New packages  like icecat and
> ungoogled-chromium take sometimes really long time to come up.
>
> Trying to compile those has even made fan in my laptop creak. (;

Not a rule of thumb or anything, just sharing my way.
As I don't need any specific update or commits I usually use just `guix pull
commit=...` to update and pick a commit from around 24h ago. Unless
there has been significant changes I end up building very few packages
if any at all. (not using ungoogled-chromium)

> --
> Cheers,
> sirmacik
> PGP: 0xE0DC81D523891771